2 Instances When You Need To Hire A Medical Malpractice Attorney For A Medication Error

If you were recently in the hospital or treated in an outpatient setting, you may have been given the wrong medication. Unfortunately, medication errors are not uncommon but often do not result in any serious consequences for the patient.

However, there are some errors that can cause permanent damage to a person's body or even put their life in danger. Below are a couple of these instances where you may need to hire a medical malpractice attorney to file a lawsuit for a serious medication error.

1. You Were Given a Medication in the Hospital Intended for Another Patient That Adversely Affected Your Health

One instance where a medication error could have drastic consequences for your health is when you are accidentally given a medication in the hospital that was meant for another patient. While there are safeguards in place to help prevent these errors, such as scanning your wristband and verifying your identity verbally, they can still happen if the staff becomes busy or neglectful.

For example, if you were given another patient's heart medication, it could have resulted in an irregular heartbeat that extended your stay and could become permanent. For such cases, you may be able to be compensated for the stay and the adverse effect on your heart by filing a lawsuit.

2. You Were Prescribed a Medication That Is or Closely Related to a Drug You Are Allergic To

Another instance where you may be able to receive compensation for a medication error is if you were prescribed a medication you were either allergic to or the drug was closely related.

As part of the doctor's responsibilities, they should always verify your allergies to make sure that you do not have any adverse reactions to a drug. However, if you were given a medication that gave you a severe reaction such as anaphylactic shock and it was from a drug on your allergy list, the doctor may be liable for any damages.

If you were given the wrong medicine that was meant for a different patient that lead to adverse effects and extended your hospital stay, you may be entitled to receive compensation for the extra medical expenses and any damage your body sustained because of it. This is also the case if you were prescribed a drug that you are allergic to. If you feel that you are owed compensation, contact a medical malpractice attorney to schedule a consultation so that you can discuss your case with them.

For more information, contact a medical malpractice attorney near you.